Here’s a few shots of my PC running Ubuntu and Windows XP, BBC Iplayer and Microsoft Office 2007. Click the images for a full size view:
I took the screenshots while Compiz cube was in mid-rotate. Looks good doesn’t it? Performance wise, Windows XP starts up just as quickly if not slightly quicker than a standard installation if you have a powerful machine. Just goes to show what a great operating system Linux can be.
How is it done?
Installing Virtualbox is quite straightforward. There’s a simple process to follow to get up and running with your XP virtual machine. That process looks like this:
1) Install Virtualbox using Synaptic package manager
2) Add your user profile to the vboxusrs group so Virtualbox will work
3) Create a virtual machine in Virtualbox
4) Install Windows XP (from CD in this post) on your new virtual machine
5) Booting your virtual machine from the Windows XP installation CD